Sunday, October 27, 2013

Birchbox "Beauty Buzz" - October 2013 Review

If you remember, I just recently re-activated my Birchbox subscription (read about it here). I didn't think I'd get an October box, but I did! 

For those of you that don't know, Birchbox is a monthly subscription (cancel/pause any time) where you  get a monthly box, delivered to your front door, of 4-6 high-end beauty and lifestyle samples from top brands. It's the best way to discover new products and buy with confidence. The best part, it's only $10/month (free shipping!) 

Birchbox was delivered in a nice pink box, and then within the packaging, there is always a nice little box with all the goodies. 

When I first opened the inside box, the information card was on top.  I love when subscription boxes come with information cards because sometimes they send items you aren't familiar with, so this helps tell you what exactly you are getting (and how to use the products). The theme of the box was "Beauty Buzz" (You know what all the fancy people are buzzing about - aka stuff I wouldn't have ANY clue about)

First Look!

Floss Gloss Nail Polish (Color: Faded): Wasn't sure if I would like the color but I tried it on one nail and I was pleasantly surprised. Since I'm a nail biter, I can't really say how good it is since it did chip, but my fingers are always in my mouth (yes, I know it's a disgusting habit!) It supposed to only take 1-2 coats for a glossy, opaque finish. The website doesn't state how big the normal size is vs. the size we got so I'm assume the sample was half the normal size (it looked like a decent size). (~$4.00)


Alison Raffaele Reality Base Foundation (Color: Skintone 3): I haven't tried this yet. I don't typically wear a lot o foundation anymore unless I'm going out somewhere special or I have pimples to cover. It is rated 3 of 5 stars on the Birchbox reviews. It's described as weight-less and oil free. I have a big meeting at work tomorrow so maybe I'll try it out tomorrow. I have no idea how big this sample is compared to the regular size bottle which is $38.00, since it's not labeled, so I'm going to say maybe ~$4.00.

Serious Skincare® Glycolic Gommage Extreme Renewal: This is essentially a deep cleaning facial cleanser. Luckily, my skin isn't too bad, so I don't need expensive face cleaner (espeically because I hardly wear any face makeup so that certainly helps), however I do like to switch it up so my face doesn't grow immune to one cleanser, so this will definitely get used. Although this one sample is about what I pay for a much larger size of clean and clear (~$4.28)

Karuna Hydrating Treatment Mask: I love trying out new masks. I'm not someone who uses them even close to regularly, but I do enjoy trying new ones out. Reminds me of my middle school days where my girlfriends and I would buy those cucumber peeling masks... loved them! I am sure this is MUCH better! Described as a "deep conditioner for your face"! Definitely thinking I'm going to try this tonight! (~$7.00)


ChapStick® Hydration Lock: This Chapstick is awesome! But then again, I love all kinds of chapstick. It definitely lasted. I wouldn't say 8 hours like the package states, but it was good! Especially with the cooler weather, that means I'll be getting chapped lips more often so this will be put to good use. This was added in the box as a "Birchbox Find" which Birchbox says are "extras":  Birchbox Finds are products we’ve come across that we think are exciting. On occasion, we'll send them to you inside your monthly box, but these must-try extras are in addition to your usual samples—they never replace them. (~$2.99)

Total estimated value of box: $19.28 (not including shipping or the "Birchbox Find" which would bring it to over $20)

Total Cost of box: $10.00 (free shipping)

Overall impression: I liked it, even though it only had 4 actual items (not counting the "Birchbox Find") which in the past I always got 5 or 6! All items will get used. Even with my estimated pricing, it was definitely a great value!

If you are interested in signing up for Birchbox, use my referral linkIf you review each product monthly you also get credit money in the Birchbox shop. If you review each product each month (assuming there are 5) that equals $5 so the box itself pretty much costs $5 which is a great deal! 


My box was "Birchbox 10" - thanks to Jen @ Ramblings of a Suburban Mom  - she explained how you can find out which box is yours and what all the other variations were each month! 


Disclosure: This post contains referral links!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure about that color, but I never get sad about seeing a nail polish in a box!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment if you are stopping in for a looksy!