Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Walt Disney World 10k Race Recap


So, last Friday was the Inaugural Walt Disney World 10k .If you remember, I have a
love/hate relationship with Disney races and this one was not different starting with a very early wake up! The alarm went off at 3:30am, I snoozed until 3:40 and then G, our friend Ryan and myself were out the door by 4am. We arrived and parked at Epcot right around 4:30ish and by 4:45 made our way to the start corrals for the 5:30 start. I theory, we could have left a little later, but then traffic gets so bad that you potentially can’t get there in time. 10,000 runners + volunteers, vendors, and supporters, all trying to be at the same place, at the same time, at Disney = a traffic nightmare, hence why we tried to get there by the recommended 4:30. All three of us started in Corral D (there was a total of 5 corrals: A-E) so we were second to last which means we didn’t even cross the start line until a good 30 minutes after the race start fireworks were launched. G and Ryan decided to be smart and just walk the 10k since they were doing the Dopey Challenge (Thursday: 5k, Friday: 10k, Saturday: ½ Marathon, and Sunday: Full Marathon – 7.000 people signed up for the Dopey Challenge which means 70% of the 10k runners were Dopey Challengers) and didn’t want to outdo themselves before the long races. So, like usual, I ran alone. Normally I don’t mind, but for some reason this race sucked. First off, I should have known it was going to be a bad idea to wear long sleeves. It was chilly in the morning, but by the time I made it to the corral (I power walked because I had to go back to the car to switch out my headphones since the ones I brought didn’t work with my lifeproof case and we had a spare set in the car) I was already too warm for the long sleeve tech shirt and I knew that wasn’t going to be good for the run. By mile one I was already hot and sweaty and if I had more confidence, I would have taken it off and ran in my sports bra. I’m not that confident and therefore suffered the whole time. In addition to being hot, my stomach was GROWLING. Since I’m dieting, err making a lifestyle change, I’ve been eating a reduced amount of calories and the day/night before the race I didn’t indulge in some good carbs like I normally do before a race so by like mile 2, my stomach was growling and I was so hungry. The banana and Clif Mini bar I had for breakfast just weren’t cutting it. Also, for a Disney race, it lacked the vast entertainment that I’m used to. I’m not sure if it’s because the race was on a typical “work/school day”or what but normally I find their races VERY entertaining, and this one just seemed to be lacking. So pretty much, I just kept telling myself, the faster I get done, the faster I can eat (Disney always gives you a snack box at the end of the races). I seriously devoured the box in just a few minutes once I got my medal. I then walked to the car and waited for the boys.





The course itself was good, although I always complain about the boring part where you just run on the street and not in the parks, but overall the course was enjoyable. We ran through the boardwalk and resorts and through Epcot. There were 4 water stops, which was perfect and for once I didn't have to go to bathroom while running so I didn't pay attention to availability but I know there were a good amount and none really had lines that I noticed. The finish line and just general race supporters were definitely a lot less prominent, and once again, not sure if it’s because it was a week/school day or what but normally the finish line is PACKED with people, this time it just wasn’t. During my run, I saw a girl with a boot on, just walking it. I thought to myself, no way I’d do this in a boot, but then again maybe if I had already paid the race participant fee + had my travel plans paid for (assuming she wasn’t a local) than I might think differently. Way to go, Boot Girl! I also saw another girl with a boot on using one of those walker things and was quite impressed. I’m assuming it’s the same circumstances, didn’t want to just eat all the money spent to be there. G happened to see her – or at least someone also using a walker with a boot - during the ½ on Saturday so I almost wonder if she was a Dopey Challenger). When I’m injured, I’m the laziest person ever, it was refreshing to see people not let their injuries get in the way of their goal. (Although, I’m not sure how SMART that is in regards to recovery). Anyways, even though the run sucked due to my own circumstances, the race wasn’t that bad and I finished in a reasonable time for not training. After the race, I went home and got ready for work and made it there by 9:20, not too shabby.

These guys were pretty cool:


And of course the sweet medals:

My Stats:
Official Chip Time: 01:17:58 (overall pace of 12:32)
Place: 4396 of 9234 finishers
Place: 1941 of the 5193 Women Finishers
Place: 239 of 649 in my Women’s Age Division (25-29)
5k Split: 37:56
My RunKeeper stats (which accounts for the zigzagging, run off to the bathroom, etc.):
6.37 miles in 1:18:07 (overall pace of 12:15)
Fastest Mile: #1 at 11:41
Slowest Mile #6 at 13:32



4 comments:

  1. WOW! That IS an early time to be up! But good for you for getting up and actually running it! Sounds like we would make good running partners:)

    Cheers,
    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate early mornings but I do tend to run decent in morning races (this one was the exception) - I was in bed at like 7pm that night though!

      Delete
  2. I did the wine and dine in 2012 and it was great. too bad this one wasn't as great as their usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've don't quote a few Disney races but never the Wine and Dine, not such a fan of the night races but maybe I will try it one time, gotta try them all lolI hear Wine and Dine is a blast!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment if you are stopping in for a looksy!